Netscape 4.7x JavaScript

From: Renzo Pecoraro <Renzo.Pecoraro@morganstanley.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:13:07 -0400
To: www-international@w3.org
Hi -

I am having a problem with a JavaScript that works fine under IE, but
not under NS, so I am wondering how Netscape 4.7 handles JavaScript
internally?

Basically, the script generates an HTML page by constructing it from
some arrays, some of which contain Shift_JIS encoded strings. It does
this by first building a var containing the entire HTML string and then
having that var be referenced in the SRC attribute of a FRAME element in
another static HTML. It appears that somewhere along the line the
Shift_JIS strings get corrupted, both under English and Japanese NT.
MSIE 5.0 displays this correctly; I can only assume because it's fully
Unicode internally, and NS isn't, but I'd like to confirm that this
really is a Netscape bug.

Has anyone seen this? I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks!

Renzo