Re: UTF-7 and java

From: Thierry Sourbier <webmaster@i18ngurus.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:56:21 +0200
To: <www-international@w3.org>
> > Quoting Carl Brown
> >
> >How long do we have to maintain 7 bit telecommunications capability?

Don't ask me, I have no clue :)).  All I can see is that RFC2152 is not yet
marked obsolete therefore if I were a disciplined developper I might be
tempted to follow it if I need to deal with SMTP :). That said I totally
agree that old technologies should be phased out at some point. If would be
great if we can consider that using 8 bits everywhere is safe, but who will
give the signal?

May be Khurram Ilyas could help us understand why he needs to use UTF-7? May
be we can convince him than UTF-8 is just so much better and is now safe for
what he wants to do :).

By the way there was a 7 hours delay between the time I send my posting and
the time it was received :(. This means that my answer was written well
before John Cowan's one (hence me not taking into account his comments).

Have all a great week end,

Cheers,
Thierry Sourbier
www.i18ngurus.com - Open Internationalization Resources Directory