canonical names for timezones

From: Lenny Turetsky <LTuretsky@salesforce.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:50:00 -0700
To: "W3intl (E-mail)" <www-international@w3.org>
Hi everybody,

In building the external APIs to an application, we've discovered that we
need to expose information about the user's localization configuration.
We're pretty confident about how to communicate their locale (language,
country, variant, in java.util.Locale style). We're confident about how to
communicate currency (three letter ISO code).

But how do we communicate their timezone? Is GMT offset sufficient? GMT
offset + daylight savings time (on/off)?
What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Lenny Turetsky
Senior Member, Technical Staff