Re: International business communications and Unicode

From: Kremena Gotcheva <infom@bcci.bg>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:30:28 +0300
To: "Gibson, Emma" <gibsoe@vic.cpaonline.com.au>, <www-international@w3.org>
Hello Emma,

Can you give me a somewhat better idea on what Virtual Communications
includes? If it's more of a 'soft skills' discipline, you probably will be
happy to leave details to the experts and only know in general how it works.

I can imagine that beside Unicode you will be interested in the other
business communication conventions and the UN CEFACT reccomendations on
trade facilitation you can find on http://www.unece.org/cefact/ (please
note, especially, EDI), as well as in some Internet implementations using
XML. The business impact is well discussed in the conference report
http://www.unece.org/press/pr2001/01trade11e.htm . There also is an ebXML
initiative http://www.ebxml.org/ that is expired now but is to be continued
as e-Business Transition WG http://www.ebtwg.org/ . Trade facilitation is
generally handled by national PRO commitees including working groups
consisting of Government bodies, NGO and business. I am curious to learn
more on what you explore, so please let me know the results if you post in
other mailing lists, too.

Another similar initiative is BizTalk http://www.biztalk.org but I'm not
sure how they relate/complement/compete to each other. Can someone enlighten
me, too?

Best regards,
Kremena Gotcheva