Re: charset list

Bob Jung wrote:

> A. Vine wrote:
>
> > Mail client generated names and mail server recognized names can also be
> > useful,
> > but there are way too many of them to list, and this info is usually not
> > readily
> > available.
> >
> Mail charsets are trickier.  While the core mail RFCs allow any charset
> encoding, there are other RFCs (e.g., for Japanese) and other internet
> conventions which enourage the use of certain charsets for certain languages
> to enhance interoperability.  When creating new email, Mozilla/Netscape
> restricts the user to sending in charsets an accordance with these charsets.

Thanks to Bob for the excellent info on Mozilla.  Note that while there are
informational RFCs on what specific charsets to use for email in certain
scripts, they are not necessarily followed.  For example, Korean emails are
supposed to be formatted with EUC-KR in the headers and ISO-2022-KR in the body,
according to RFC 1557.  I don't think I've ever seen this actually occur.  In
the list of Mozilla mailedit charsets, ISO-2022-KR isn't even listed, see:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpfe/browser/resources/locale/en-US/navigator.properties#29

So, once again, it's best to know which mail clients/servers you're supporting
and make a consolidated list from them, although this is not information which
is readily available like it is for Mozilla.

Andrea