Re: Time

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:14:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Carl W. Brown" <cbrown@xnetinc.com>
CC: www-international@w3.org
Carl W. Brown scripsit:

> If you want to get technical Kiritimati for example is GMT+14:00 not
> GMT-10:00.  If you want to really get nasty I don't know of any time routine
> that deals with historical dates.  For example last year Sidney changed the
> DST dates because of the Olympics.  So last years dates should use a
> different set of dates to calculate DST.

The tz date routines, which are used in modern Unixoid systems, do in fact
handle historical dates extremely well.  The current versions are
pointed to by http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm , with much
other information as well, including alternative C and Java implementations.

One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter