Re: Extended Characters in Server Names

From: Shigemichi Yazawa <yazawa@globalsight.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:24:26 -0600
To: www-international@w3.org
At Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:10:51 -0700,
Barry Caplan <bcaplan@i18n.com> wrote:
> It is not just DNS that is involved, but other protocols that deal with
> domain names that will need updating. SMTP (email), HTTP (web) all are
> going to break if left as is.

I'm not an expert on this, but I understand that Internationalized
Domain Names IETF working group is standardizing an ACE (ASCII
compatible encoding) to address the problem Barry pointed out. With
ACE, existing network infrastructures don't need to be changed since
the address string is all in ASCII. Last I heard that DUDE
(Differential Unicode Domain Encoding) is a strong candidate.

Shigemichi Yazawa
yazawa@globalsight.com