Re: Language stats?

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:51:49 +0200
To: duerst@w3.org
CC: www-international@w3.org

"Joe Clark (by way of Martin Duerst )" wrote:

> Hello. I am writinga book on Web accessibility
> <http://joeclark.org/book/> and am trying to find authoritative
> statistics on the frequency of language use on Websites. Everyone
> knows English leads by a country kilometre,

depending on your metric. 'Most popular language', yes; 'Language used by
most web users', no; 'language used by most websites', not sure.

> but what are the next 19 languages used, in order?
>
> Is there such a thing as a reliable source of such information
> online?

Here is a thought-provoking one (OK, its an advert I saw in an airport but
anyway it makes an interesting point). It suggests that by 2007, the
predominant language used on the web will be Chinese.

--
Chris

chinese-2007-weblanguage.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: chinese-2007-weblanguage.jpg)