Last Call review of Character Model for the WWW

From: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:41:00 +0000
To: www-international@w3.org

On behalf of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Internationalization
Working Group and Interest Group, I am pleased to announce the
publication of the "Character Model for the World Wide Web 1.0" Last
Call Working Draft. The document address is:

If, due to temporary mirroring problems, you are unable to access the
document, please use:

The Last Call review period will end on 23 February 2001. Any comments
should be sent by that date to (www-i18n-comments@w3.org), archived at:

This document provides authors of specifications, software developers,
and content developers a common reference for interoperable text
manipulation on the World Wide Web.  Topics addressed include encoding
identification, early uniform normalization, string identity matching,
string indexing, and URI conventions, building on the Universal
Character Set, defined jointly by Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646.  Some
introductory material on characters and character encodings is also

The Character Model is based on our earlier "Requirements for String
Identity Matching and String Indexing":

Thank you,

Misha Wolf
W3C Internationalization Working Group Chair

the views of Reuters Ltd.