From: ftang@netscape.com [mailto:ftang@netscape.com]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 2:47 PM
To: Andrea Vine
Cc: I18n Prog List; WWW Int'l list
Subject: Re: Use of charset name CNS11643

Andrea Vine wrote:

All,
I received a question which is quite difficult to answer.  I'd like to
preface
this with a few statements so as to avoid unrelated info:

1.  I know that CNS11643 is a coded character set (CCS) from the Taiwan
gov't
standards body.
2.  I know that a CCS is not the same thing as a character encoding scheme
(CES).

3.  I use the term "charset" to refer to the name of a particular
combination of
CCS and CES, for example, the charset EUC-TW.

Given that, has anyone seen the name "CNS11643" being used for EUC-TW, say,
in
an HTML document meta tag, an HTTP header, or an email header?  Since
neither
name is official, has anyone seen the name "EUC-TW"  used in such
situations?
Does anyone know if various browser versions generate or understand these 2
names?  How about mail clients?

I think netscape use "x-euc-tw" instead of "euc-tw" . I don't think we use
"cns11643"

Also, please see the old study erik van der poel did before:
http://people.netscape.com/erik/easier-web/
<http://people.netscape.com/erik/easier-web/>
see
Web protocol statistics:  US <http://people.netscape.com/erik/yahoo-us.html>
Japan <http://people.netscape.com/erik/yahoo-jp.html>   Germany
<http://people.netscape.com/erik/yahoo-de.html>

Do NOT send mail to erik@netscape.com . erik no longer work for Netscape and
that email address is invalid now.

Is anyone actively working on registering the charset names EUC-TW or EUC-CN

with IANA?

10 years ago, while I still work for III (Institute for Information
Industry), DEC help use to register CNS 11643-1 and 2 to ISO registry. In
that time, it is very hard to register any thing from Taiwan since all
International standard body do not recognize Taiwan as a country since it is
not part of UN and afraid of making PRC govement mad. DEC registry CNS
11643-1 and 2 to ISO registry as a company. I thing the same kind of problem
still exist now, 10 years later. Don't expect any govement organization /
standard body from Taiwan can do that job. Those international standard body
simply will shut them down, at least those organization in Taiwan belive
that way- which may be still the case as today.

Thanks for any information,
Andrea Vine
iPlanet i18n architect
avine@eng.sun.com