RE: Ruby Annotation and XHTML 1.1 are W3C Proposed Recommendations

From: Ayers, Mike <Mike_Ayers@bmc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:12:42 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

 > From: Martin Duerst [mailto:duerst@w3.org]
 >
 > At 10:00 01/04/09 -0700, Carl W. Brown wrote:
 > >I am wondering how in the absence of a sub language how one
 > should render
 > >Chinese ruby.  Mandarin ruby will not do a Cantonese reader
 > much good.  Can
 > >I specify multiple ruby and then have one displayed
 > depending on the spoken
 > >language?
 >
 > Maybe that's one reason for ruby not beeing that much used in Chinese
 > as in Japanese? But it could be very interesting for somebody
 > speaking Cantonese and wanting to learn Mandarin, or vice versa.
 > You can give up to two ruby per base text, so you could have Mandarin
 > on one side and Cantonese on the other, or could switch on one
 > or the other with a stilesheet. For more advanced things, you would
 > need something like SMIL, which has an explicit <switch> statement.

	How would one render Cantonese ruby?  I am aware of "bopomofo"
("Taiwan pinyin") for Mandarin (and near-Mandarin) pronunciations,
but I've never heard of a system for Cantonese.  I know that there
are romanizations, which would be good for English-speaking students,
but not very useful for Chinese, I think (the only Chinese I have ever
met who could read romanizations were Chinese language teachers).  Is
ruby used at all in native Chinese contexts?

/|/|ike