RE: International Internet Icons

From: by way of Martin Duerst <Frank_Cutitta@idg.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:01:00 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

Guy writes

 >The symbol of the home icon (the house icon, as I call it) is totally
 >obscure to non-English users.  To a French, German or Japanese user, what
 >does a house have to do with the concept of "returning to the initial page"?

So what is Internet Explorer and Netscape using for the symbol for Home Page
around the world on their top tool bar ?

My experience has been that the house symbol has been
an internationally acceptable iconic convention despite the variations in the
form factor of houses or apartments/flats worldwide.

No so ?

Frank Cutitta
Senior Vice President
International Data Group (IDG)