Abdul Malik Rezeski
Manager Global Staff Operations
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WorldPoint
1132 Bishop Street, Suite 2500
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

http://www.worldpoint.com/

WorldPoint Numbers:
Silicon Valley Voice/Fax Messages: 650.618.1505
Zurich/Switzerland Voice/Fax Messages: 01.274.2528
London/England Voice/Fax Messages: 0207.504.8492
Tokyo/Japan Voice/Fax Messages: 03.4512.4078
http://www.worldpoint.com/
http://www.123translate.com

************** orig msg ***************

<<<<<  snipped >>>>>

> What is potentially offensive to any particular country or culture?

--->  This isn't very helpful to you, but there are so many things that it
can't be treated here. Typically, if you are going to localize content, you
start by determining the target audience, then have a political, cultural

http://designshops.com/pace/ds/pub/1999/11/global4.html

http://designshops.com/pace/ds/pub/1999/09/global.html

http://designshops.com/pace/ds/pub/2000/03/global032700.html

http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2000/09/lagon/

I include the following as food for thought. Multiply the following gestures
by a 100 for every country and you have a problem that must be addressed by
an expert. The subtle things , from color to inappropriate gestures in
graphics, that can send a totally wrong message are too numerous to count:
http://www.webofculture.com/refs/gestures.html

> (e.g. is a particular color really going to offend a significant number
> of our target audience, who are "educated" people.)
------>  This is a two-semester college course!  What we are obviously
asking is about the cultural symbols and signs that are inherent in every
culture/ethnic group/nation. A complex issue at best. For instance, black in
American society=mourning & death. In Hindu culture white=mourning & death
A horse in American culture=freedom and open spaces. This signs and symbols
we are not consciously aware of, but when we see them we know what they
mean. What would seemed to be insignificant to me, would resonate in a
negative way to others in different societies regardless of their education
level.

----> Yes, but would you really recognize what an American gesture is?

> What is the correct way to depict relationships between boss/employee,
> teacher/student, etc.?

Depends on the country/culture.

> Are there technical issues in foreign countries that affect the
> rendering of flash and graphics?

--->  Probably. You are asking the right question. DO remember that in many
parts of the work, broadband is not an option AND that the viewer is PAYING
BY THE MINUTE. With that in mind, unless they are extremely interested in
the subject, or you have VERY compelling content, they will bail quickly
from your environment.

> If we try to adapt to everyone and offend no one, do we run the risk of
> blandness?

 ---> Correct. That is why you must determine as best you can who your
target audience is and localize for that audience.

--->  Purpose, Subject, Audience: the first questions that must be answered.
I'm sure you have realized that since you are the web with a website, you
are ALREADY globalized. But now, how do you handle this? Obviously, you
can't localize for every country [170+] in all 7000+[??] languages, so you
are forced to trim it down some, at least avoiding most of the obviously
questionable symbology.

--->  Best of luck. I hope this helps a little bit at least.