Is the ? a universal symbol for help info?

From: A. Vine <avine@eng.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:15:50 -0700
To: I18n Prog List <i18n-prog@egroups.com>, "WWW Int'l list" <www-international@w3.org>
All,

A human-interface engineer asks:

  I was wondering if you could tell me if the "?" used for help is a
  globally known symbol?

The usage is a clickable graphic ? which brings up a help window.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for any info,
Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine@eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
"A bibliophile is a lover of books; a bibliomane, a wildly enthusiastic