UTF-8 and UTF-16

From: Stephen Toner <Stephen.Toner@virtualaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:14:24 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
Hi,
The input from my web page is in the UTF-8 form, but my database uses
UTF-16/UCS-2.  I was wondering if there were any Java converters out there
that could do this conversion, or if it would be simple enough to try and
change an existing C one to perform the same task.  I was also wondering
why UTF-8 could not be just stored as a character string in the
Database.  If the characters are now 8-bit surely they could be represented
by the ordinary character set in the database.
Any help would be appreciated because I feel like I'm banging my head off a
brick wall at the minute.
Thanks,
Stephen