Publishing in UTF-8?

From: by way of <MiekoK@trellix.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:28:41 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
Hello all,

We have a web based application in English and are working on localizing it
to French, Italian, German, and Spanish. We are considering publishing pages
in UTF-8 in these languages. I would like to know the advantages and
disadvantages on using UTF-8 over ISO-8859-1. How common UTF-8 is? I
randomly visited some sites in France and Italy, but I did not find a site
in UTF-8.
I saw a Netscape 4.x browser bug using NCR in UTF-8 on
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/unicode_web.html. Any input would be
appreciated.

Thank you,
Mieko