Re: Portability of Unicode code !?

Unicode can be expressed many ways: with sequences of 8-bit, 16-bit,
or 32-bit code units. Different forms are suited for different
environments, and the conversion between all of these forms is fast
and algorithmic. For more details, see
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/utfencodingforms/index.html

To address your particular problem I'd suggest looking at ICU, a
cross-platform, open-source library sponsered and used by IBM. For
more details, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

Mark