International Search Engine Submission

From: Suzanne Topping <stopping@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:18:01 -0500
To: "www" <www-international@w3.org>, "nelocsig" <nelocsig@egroups.com>

I am continuing to pull together guidelines for multilingual web site
development, and have a few questions that I am hoping someone out there can

What I am wondering is whether or not specific methods for submission of
sites to search engines are more effective when dealing with international

--Should submission approaches be modified for sites trying to reach
specific locales? For example, are certain search engines more common in
certain places?

--Do any "for pay" submission services specialize in international markets?

--Has anyone had problems with a service because of character sets used in
keywords, etc?

--Are there any specific submission issues that apply to sites planned for
international use?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Suzanne Topping
Localization Unlimited
(Globalization Process Improvement Consulting and Training)
28 Ericsson Street
Rochester, New York, 14610-1705
Phone: 716-473-0791
Fax: 716-231-2013
Email: stopping@rochester.rr.com

(Send me an email to join the North East Localization Special Interest
Group, an email distribution list which acts as a discussion forum for
localization issues.)