RE: How universal is a check mark?

From: James Turley <jturley@xai.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:52:58 -0700
To: "'Erik van der Poel'" <erik@netscape.com>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>
Eric van deer Poel wrote:

> Are those check marks similar to Western ones, with the right side
> longer than the left side? Or are they more like the letter v, where
> both sides have the same length?
>
> I've also seen circle (maru) for correct and X (batsu) for
> incorrect/disallowed in Japan.

I just checked Hana's homework. Yes, you are exactly
correct, the maru's and checks are as you
described. Checks (backwards) means incorrect/disallowed, and
circles ok. I didn't see any batsu's.

This "maru" usage always kinda' bothered me.
Why make a notion for "correct" at all? Here in US,
"correct" is the default behavior.  Imagine the
work involved in correcting 30 kids' 30 question test,
and having to make a notion on each one.
My wife has no explanation, but, as usual,
defends this cultural practice vigorously.:-)

Hmm...such is the land of full government employment.

Jim Turley, XAI

--
XA International                        14510 Big Basin Way, #240
Contract Programming Agency             Saratoga, CA 95070