How to distinguish UTF-8 from Latin-* ?

From: Vinod Balakrishnan <vinod@filemaker.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:21:29 -0700
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Hi,

How can we distinguish the UTF-8 characters sequence from a
Latin-1/Latin-? characters. In case of most of the internet application
UTF16 characters are prefixed by "0xu" and for the UTF8 characters there
is no prefix to identify those. Do we HAVE/NEED a standard to represent
UTF8 ?

For example, if the browser send out a http GET request for a non-Roman
characters with out the header information, the server application will
not be able to identify the characters whether they are UTF8 or Latin-1.

-Vinod

vinod@filemaker.com