[Moderator Action] Re: BOM & Unicode editors

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan <michka@trigeminal.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 14:10:25 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
 > >and consider UTF-8 to be a multibyte encoding.
 >
 > There is nothing wrong with this. UTF-8 is a very proper multibyte
 > encoding. It's smallest interpretable element is a byte, and like all
 > multibyte encodings, each character is encoded by a byte sequence which
may
 > have one of several lenghts, in
 > this case 1, 2, 3 or 4 bytes.

You know that and I know that... I have been involved with HUGE arguments
over this topic with many people, some of whom are regular contributos to
the i18n-prog@acoin.com list. One person came close to blaming me personally
for the fact that an API such as WideCharToMultiByte would be used to covert
UCS-2 to UTF-8 -- as if I really had thing one to do with it! :-)

michka