Re: BOM & Unicode editors

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:54:36 -0700
To: "Michael \(michka\) Kaplan" <michka@trigeminal.com>, "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, "Saba Sundaramurthy" <ssundaramurthy@verisign.com>, "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: <mozilla-i18n@mozilla.org>, <www-international@w3.org>, <i18n-prog@acoin.com>
At 07:54 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:
>There has long been controversy over the fact that MS products use "Unicode"
>to mean UCS-2

In the new, more precise terminology you would say that "MS products use
'Unicode' to mean UTF-16". Since plain text files are prefixed with a BOM,
the encoding is UTF-16, (internally tagged, endianess can be determined
from BOM) instead of UTF-16LE (little endian, externally tagged and no BOM
allowed). There is, incidentally, no shorthand to describe "UTF-16 with BOM
that I know (from other information) to be little endian".

>and consider UTF-8 to be a multibyte encoding.

There is nothing wrong with this. UTF-8 is a very proper multibyte
encoding. It's smallest interpretable element is a byte, and like all
multibyte encodings, each character is encoded by a byte sequence which may
have one of several lenghts, in
this case 1, 2, 3 or 4 bytes.

The two distinguishing faccts about UTF-8 is that it is self-synchronizing,
which is a nice feature for a multibyte encoding, and that it can express
all Unicode characters (identical subset).

A./