BOM & Unicode editors

From: Saba Sundaramurthy <ssundaramurthy@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:55:25 -0700
To: mozilla-i18n@mozilla.org, www-international@w3.org, i18n-prog@acoin.com
Hi,

1)    Playing with text editors (FrontPage 2000 and Notepad) in Windows NT
and Windows 2000, I noticed that when ever the contents are saved unicode or
UTF-8 there is a marker FEFF placed at the beginning of the file. Inspecting
this marker can give information about the byte ordering of the machine and
also if the following bytes are Unicode or UTF-8.

    Is this something all editors that save files in Unicode or UTF-8 are
required to do? Can I depend on the presence of this marker in my code?

2)	Are there any editors available on unix to allow you to save text in
Unicode or UTF-8?

Thanks in advance,
-Saba