Re: greek char in UTF-8

From: <jeff.hickey@edwardjones.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:34:21 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org, Guy.Teasdale@bibl.ulaval.ca
No, you cannot display all greek characters in ANY default font.  If your browser does not have a character set that matches the encoding, it will typically default to the ASCII character set, resulting in garbled text or an "empty box" to use your term.

I understand Microsoft has INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE SUPPORT from their 'products update' site windowsupdate.microsoft.com. But you get fonts "they choose" do give you.
I don't believe, Netscape provides language packs.  You could purchase character set fonts from Bitstream, AGFA Monotype, or Dynalab to name a few.  Or downloaded the language packs from Microsoft, and adapted them for use with Netscape.  (I've never done it myself, but have heard of it being done.)  Be sure in EDIT<PREFERENCES<Appearances<FONT you select "Use my deault_fonts, overriding document-specified fonts", so you maintain control of the fonts you are capable of displaying.

Jeff Hickey
Edward Jones

"I views and opinion of the writer do not necessarily represent those of Edward Jones."