Re: Help!!

From: Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 13:25:55 +0600
To: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
CC: Domenica_donatella Caridi <caridi@cli.di.unipi.it>, www-international@w3.org
Bert Bos wrote:

> Domenica_donatella Caridi writes:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > does anyone know of any software or packages that will convert strings
> > from Ascii, ISO 8979, ...  to Unicode?

What is ISO 8979? (I'm sorry for that stupid question :-)

> tcs comes as C source code:
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/unixsrc/tcs.shar.Z
> (That may be hard to unpack on non-Unix systems, so I made a tar.gz
> instead, which winzip should be able to read:
> http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/tcs-19950326.tar.gz )
>
> GNU recode converts between lots of encodings, but no UTF-*
> http://www.gnu.org/software/

There is a free charset conversion package (a library and a command line
utility) iconv-0.2 at ftp://ftp.urc.ac.ru/pub/OS/FreeBSD/converters/

It converts between several Unicode, ISO-8859, ISO-2022, EUC, KOI, Windows,
DOS and Macintosh charsets. Unfortunately, now it has FreeBSD-specific
makefiles, so it is not so easy building it on other platforms.
Version 0.3 will be built by GNU configure, so it should be portable to all
major Unices. I expect to release it in two weeks, although I cannot test
it on systems other than FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux and probably an old AIX.

Best regards.

--
        Konstantin V. Chuguev.          System administrator of Southern
        http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/      Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,