Re: Form response charset

From: Klaus Weide <kweide@tezcat.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 03:28:04 -0500 (CDT)
To: Jason Pouflis <pouflis@eisa.net.au>
cc: Jesse Hall <jesse@Novonyx.COM>, www-international@w3.org
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Jason Pouflis wrote:

> Browsers then did not submit the charset encoding along with data
> nor could I find a pre-fabricated solution for best guessing encoding type.
> This may have changed, please forward useful responses or your summary.
>
> wrt to testing on different browsers, I found that although my
> utf-8 pages would display properly on
> IE4 (english + japanese IME) on Win95/NT (english),
> that they didn't display properly on
> IE4 (japanese) on Win95 (japanese).
>

> A response I got on 13 May 1998 from Roman Czyborra was:
> > How do I tell what character set form data is submitted in?
>
> There is a discussion of this issue in section 5 of RFC 2070.
> Ideally, the client sends something like

> In practice, most browsers don't send the charset parameter and leave
> you to guessing what the data might be supposed to mean.
> Even Lynx 2-8-2 en Netscape 4.04 don't send it.

Actually, Lynx (2-8-2 and some earlier versions) *is* able to send the
charset parameter if appropriate.  It just doesn't always do it, in
order to not confuse existing scripts.  But in a form with an
ACCEPT-CHARSET="utf-8" attribute, AND the submission data actually
containing non-US-ASCII characters, you should see the charset
parameter being sent.

   Klaus