RE: Form response charset

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:14:18 PDT
To: "Jason Pouflis" <pouflis@eisa.net.au>, "Jesse Hall" <jesse@novonyx.com>, <www-international@w3.org>
> > How do I tell what character set form data is submitted in?
>
> There is a discussion of this issue in section 5 of RFC 2070.
> Ideally, the client sends something like

But RFC 2070 doesn't say that. It says that

   The best solution is to use the "multipart/form-data" media type
   described in [RFC1867] with the POST method of form submission.

and

   A less satisfactory solution is to add a MIME charset parameter to
   the "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" media type specifier...

It's less satisfactory, of course, since application/x-www-form-urlencoded
isn't defined, if it were defined, it isn't implemented with a "charset"
parameter, and the "charset" parameter would have to apply uniformly
to all of the form data, even hidden fields.