Form response charset

From: Jesse Hall <jesse@Novonyx.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:24:30 GMT
To: www-international@w3.org
Hello,

I'm not sure this is the proper forum, but I've searched everywhere I could
think of and couldn't find an answer to my question. If there's a more
appropriate place for me to look/ask, please let me know.

I'm working on internationalizing a web-based application. One of the
requirements is that it must accept international input via forms. My problem is
that I haven't found a way of determining which character set the information
coming back from the browser is in (e.g. for a INPUT TYPE=TEXT or a TEXTAREA
field).

I'm using UTF-8 for all the pages I send. The browsers I've tested with handle
this properly. However, what I'm getting back from e.g. a Japanese browser (I've
tried two) running on Japanese Windows is not UTF-8. The best solution from my
point of view is to always get the response in UTF-8, but if there is a way to
determine the charset of the returned data, I can of course do the conversion
myself if necessary.

TIA,
Jesse Hall
jesse@novonyx.com