Re: Language (in)dependent hyphenation properties

Asmus Freytag writes:
 > For German, it is not an acceptable fall back to insert spaces between
 > letters for a narrow column. A significant portion of readers will
 > understand this to be *emphasized* text. This is true, even though this
 > form of emphasis is based on usage in Fraktur and typewritten style. It's
 > common enough still to affect the reader's perception.

Yes, this exact example is also in our book (Lie & Bos, "Cascading
Style Sheets" (1997), page 153)

The default in CSS is indeed to allow the browser to vary the letter
spacing, but the 'letter-spacing' property can force a particular
value, including 0.

I believe that is enough to deal with this particular problem.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA