RE: Transliteration

From: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:40:48 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
>I _agree_ that there's a use for tagging this general sort
>of transformation.

Fine.

>I _disagree_ that it should be done by over-loading the existing
>language headers/language-tags as used in HTTP and HTML.

I am open to suggestion regarding the mechanism/syntax.
I prefer the _clean_ way where every bit of information is in
his own little box and properly tagged.

The reason for proposing the extension (over-loading)
RF 1766 is because:

 - It feels like a natural extension (not too much overloading)
 - Easier to implement
 - Probably more acceptable to the standization community

>If it needs to be marked up on portions of a document,
>then I'd say we should propose a new attribute for a
>HTML DTD. The arguments for having a standard markup
>are pretty much the same as LANG: it helps spell-checkers,
>hyphentation software, and so forth to do the right thing.

So two general mechanism are proposed:

  - Extension of RFC 1766
  - Attribute in LANG + field in header ?

Comments ?