Re: euro entity

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 20:45:44 -0400
To: erik@netscape.com (Erik van der Poel)
Cc: W3 I18N <www-international@w3.org>
At 01:12 PM 14/10/98 -0700, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>Liam Quinn wrote:
>> Due to a bug, Netscape 4.x will not correctly display any character that
>> cannot be encoded in the document's character encoding (or something close
>> to that--Netscape 4.x on Windows seems to handle windows-1252 encodable
>> characters as numeric references in an ISO-8859-1 encoded document).  So if
>> you serve a document with charset=ISO-8859-1, Netscape won't show &euro;
>> correctly.
>I tested &euro; with iso-8859-1 and windows-125[0-4], and they all
>worked on NT4 with Communicator 4.5. 4.06 should work too, though I
>haven't tried it recently.

Perhaps it's a Win95 problem then.  I tested with Navigator 4.5b2 and 4.07
on Win95 and just got a square with the Times New Roman font.  IE5 gives me
the euro with Times New Roman for &#8364; and &#x20AC (though IE 5.0b1
doesn't support &euro;).  (According to
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq12.htm>, NT's Service Pack 4
includes updated codepages for the euro, but there are no updated codepages
for Win95 that I can find.)

As for the bug I mentioned, compare the following two URLs:

The two pages are exactly the same except for the charset parameter sent;
the former is served with charset=ISO-8859-1 while the latter is served
with charset=UTF-8.  IE (5.0b1, Win95) gets most of the Greek characters
right for both pages, but Netscape (4.5b2, Win95) only shows the Greek
letters on the UTF-8 version.  With the ISO-8859-1 version, Netscape only
shows the windows-1252 characters properly.  The results are the same even
when I change my Western font to Bitstream Cyberbit (which I use as my
Unicode font).

Here's another source that mentions the bug:

"Netscape browsers, even version 4, fail to render most of the unicode
characters represented by &#bignumber; unless the advertised charset
implies unicode. This is a bug, but can be circumvented in an entirely
standards-conforming way by advertising the charset as utf-8."

Liam Quinn