Re: Arabisation and character sets

À 11:23 31-03-98 +0200, Reinier van Kleij a écrit :
>   - ALis Tango and MS IE 4.0 (on Arabic Enabled Windows) render
>     iso-8859-6 correctly
>   - Netscape on an Arabic Windows and Netscape with Shakr
>     plug-in on "normal" Windows do not render correctly.
>   - using the proprietary Microsoft standard Windows 1256 all
>     browsers render correctly.

Render correctly?  May I suggest that you introduce a hyperlink or a word
in bold in the middle of any line, and see what happens?  Watch word order...

>It seems hilarious to me that we must use a proprietary Microsoft standard
>in order to have Netscape render correctly.

Hilarious yes, but less so if one considers that you are (apparently)
testing on a Microsoft-proprietary platform.  Not that you have so many
other options for Arabic...

--
François Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Alis Technologies inc., Montréal