RE: International numbering styles

From: Gary Adams - JavaSoft East <Gary.Adams@East.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:43:37 -0500 (EST)
To: BChester@saros.com, Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr, duerst@w3.org
Cc: www-international@w3.org

> At 16:26 98/01/09 -0800, Chester, Bernard wrote:
> > Bert:
> >
> > I've been down roads like this.  I'd advise an approach that avoids
> > trying to enumerate all of the numbering styles possible, why not come
> > up with a scheme for permitting a numbering scheme to be described?  And
> > then a subset which are "known" and can be referred to by a descriptor?
>
> I think this is very clear to all that the number of schemes is
> rather unlimited. Also, for a complete description of a scheme,
> we would need a full programming language (Turing-completeness).
> Everybody who knows CSS knows that this is very much against
> the declarative nature of CSS. So we have to see what we can
> do now to get a more balanced picture for numbering, and what
> we may be able to do in CSS3 for more flexibility.

There are a lot of benefits to keeping CSS essentially declarative.
If there are advanced capabilities possible by allowing procedural
descriptions of presentation attributes, I would like to at least
encouraging describing how those capabilities could be acheived.
e.g. perhaps XML/XSL has some I18N features available that are not
easily acheived in HTML/CSS.