RE: International numbering styles

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 07:50:27 +0900
To: "Chester, Bernard" <BChester@saros.com>, "'Bert Bos'" <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Cc: "'www-international@w3.org'" <www-international@w3.org>
At 16:26 98/01/09 -0800, Chester, Bernard wrote:
> Bert:
>
> I've been down roads like this.  I'd advise an approach that avoids
> trying to enumerate all of the numbering styles possible, why not come
> up with a scheme for permitting a numbering scheme to be described?  And
> then a subset which are "known" and can be referred to by a descriptor?

I think this is very clear to all that the number of schemes is
rather unlimited. Also, for a complete description of a scheme,
we would need a full programming language (Turing-completeness).
Everybody who knows CSS knows that this is very much against
the declarative nature of CSS. So we have to see what we can
do now to get a more balanced picture for numbering, and what
we may be able to do in CSS3 for more flexibility.

Regards,   Martin.