Phone vs. Tel: translator's point of view

From: Sergei N. Mouraviev <moretext@infopro.spb.su>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:35:33 +0400
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Dear all,

Speaking about ambiguity, not only abbreviation but virtually any word could
be ambiguous when it lacks the context. Even sentences are! ("The cat sits on
the mat" may serve as an example.)  Therefore, in many cases, we are certainly
not free from our personal and/or cultural experience. Personally, if I have
to translate Phone into Russian I would translate it as Tel: (if the room is
limited); if I have to translate Tel: I would never translate it as TV, and if
I have I translate TV I would translate as TV:-)

Kind regards,

Sergei Mouraviev
translator, M(emeber) (of the) I (nstitute of) L(inguists)