Re: (SC22WG14.4856) RE: Transliteration [and transcription]

From: John Clews <Converse@sesame.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:42:58 GMT
To: gwyn@ARL.MIL, manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org
Cc: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no, mgm@sybase.com, rosenne@netvision.net.il, i18n@dkuug.dk, xojig@xopen.co.uk, sc22wg14@dkuug.dk, www-international@w3.org
Douglas A. Gwyn <gwyn@ARL.MIL> wrote:

> I must have missed something; why is this "transliteration" discussion
> being conducted on sc22wg14@dkuug.dk?  Is there some C standards issue
> involved?

There might be, although nobody seems to have discussed this point.

I'm initially to blame: I sent an announcement regarding
transliteration standards and internationalization
to lists that Keld Simonsen and Alain La Bonte had identified
as lists with an interest in internationalization.
These lists included sc22wg14@dkuug.dk.

Somebody "group replied" this with a discussion on certain issues
relating to transliateration and transcription, and it carried on
thus. I had not antipated any such discussion on this, although some
useful contacts had been made as a result: after all the announcement
said that there was a tc46sc2@elot.gr email discussion list
specifically on transliteration.

I am now ensuring that any future discussions on this do not include
sc22wg14@dkuug.dk.

                                   Yours sincerely

                                     John Clews
--
Chair of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Member of CEN/TC304: Character Set Technology;

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, England
Email: Converse@sesame.demon.co.uk;        tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432