Re: Transliteration

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Carrasco Benitez Manuel wrote:

> 4) Three parameters are needed to code transliteration:
>
>       4.1) Translit : A code to indicate transliteration.
>       4.2) Source : A language code in a language system.  For example,
> "el" for Greek in ISO 639.
>       4.3) Target  : A language code in a language system.  For example,
> "fr" for French in  ISO 639.

These are all very relevant parameters. However, what I think we
should discuss also is the ways transliterations will be used:

- Will they mainly be used for single words, or for whole documents?

- Will they be produced on the server side, or on the browser side?

- Will they be short-lived (produced on the fly) or long-term?

I know that the answer to all the above questions is "it depends",
but it would be very good to see what combinations are most
frequent, and what they are used for. If somebody knows of
something like a transliteration proxy on the web, that would
even be more interesting.

Regards,	Martin.

P.S.: I cut down the crossposting a lot. It helps save many
	people much time.