RE: Transliteration [and transcription]

From: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:21:15 -0000
To: "'10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk'" <10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk>, Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no, mgm@sybase.com
Cc: rosenne@NetVision.net.il, Converse@sesame.demon.co.uk, i18n@dkuug.dk, xojig@xopen.co.uk, sc22wg14@dkuug.dk, www-international@w3.org, wgi18n@terena.nl, keld@dkuug.dk
I was using transliteration (letters) and transcription (sounds) as
synonimous.  This is common and even my Oxford Dictionary
consider them synonimous.  In practice, most of this
transformation is a mixture of boths.

If the transliteration/transcription community needs to make
the distinction, fine.  What it is needed are the parameters
to identify transliteration/transcription.

Also needed:

 1) Formal defintions from "authority".
 2) Nomenclature for the different transformations.

Regards
Tomas