Re: Unnecessary redraws with Content-Language

From: Reinier van Kleij <rklei@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:20:21 +0100
To: "Chris Wendt" <christw@microsoft.com>, erik@netscape.com
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>
Chris & Erik,

actually we have:

	<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
	<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" CONTENT="it">

So according to you, we can not do any better: the Content-Type right after

Netscape and IE seem to do these redraws still, so maybe Netscape/IE draw
the page, then check the character set and decide to redraw?

At 11.15 14/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Confirming what Erik says:
>We _have_ to reload, reconvert to the target charset and re-render the
>document on encountering the <meta.... charset=...> tag if the indicated
>charset differs from what we expected, typically the current user default of
>the browser.
>The effect can be minimized by either sending the charset in the http header
>or moving the <meta ... charset=...> close to the top of the document. I
>usually recommend as first statement in the <head>.
reinier van kleij