Re: Euro

On Oct 21, 10:24am, Charles Wicksteed wrote:

> There are arguments for not adding a new entity name at all.
> Until the entity name has been incorporated into browsers, we would
> have to use "€" (8364 decimal = 0x20AC) anyway, though even
> this assumes the users have a font with the correct glyph.  In
> about 3 years time, I would consider it safe to use "€"
> instead, but I can't see any reason to make global edits to all my
> web pages (or modify my HTML editor), when the only effect would be
> to spoil the display of users with old browsers.  So I would
> never use it.

I thought I would manage to avoid this thread ;-( but here goes:

The effect of inserting an unrecognised entity &foo; is that the user
sees the literal text foo. The effect of inserting an unpresentable NCR
varies, but typical effects include displaying the 'missing glyph' glyph,
displaying a question mark, displaying the NCR modulo 256 or truncated
to three digits (!).

Of these, if using a browser with no font that contained a euro, I would
prefer to see

the item costs 32 euro

rather than

the item costs 32 ?

The argument against adding the entity to HTML is that users of every
other currency will want theirs added too. With the addition of historical
currency units, such an entity list would be larger than all the current
HTML 4.0 entities.