Re(2): Euro - re-statement

> <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org> writes:
>
>  M.Carrasco> Re-statement of the proposition In case someone has not
>  M.Carrasco> noticed, the euro is very, very, very important for the
>  M.Carrasco> Europeans.  Much more than ASCII.
>
> This is nonsense. Probably to most Europeans the Euro (currency) is
> more important than the ASCII character set. To hardly any European
> the Euro (character, glyph, character coding) is more important than
> the ASCII character coding.

Personally I could do without this glyph, but we might as well recognise that we're going to get it anyway. This in not so much because it's a practical necessity, but because of its symbolic and political importance.

(Although that said, the way the Euro is defined, it does also seem to have some practical value, especially if you're Portuguese. See http://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso8859/latin00.html as somebody indicated earlier.)

From this perspective, ESCII starts to make sense.

Iain Urquhart (changing his mind)