Re: Announce: Publication of Discussion Document, Luxembourg, July 1997

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:27:25 PDT
To: Iain.URQUHART@LUX.DG13.cec.be
CC: www-international@w3.org
> Some of you might be interested in this :

>       Publication of Discussion Document, Luxembourg, July 1997

The header in your message is incorrect. "Content-Language", not
"Accept-Language", is used to describe the language of the content of a
message. (Accept-Language is a request header.)

However, I object to "EUROSPEAK" on two grounds. First, it is too kind.
It is quite possible to engage in speaking about Europe or from a
European perspective without also engaging in the particular linguistic
phenomena exhibited by the announcement in your message.

might work if you thought a language tag were appropriate, but
bureaucreatese seems to be linguistically universal, and as such, you
should instead register a standard feature tag, following
draft-ietf-http-feature-reg-02.txt. I think it would require a long
interchange of messages exhibiting the feature itself before such a
registration would be complete, however, and perhaps even the
establishment of a mailing list devoted to the topic.

Regards,

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter