Re: Re(2): Localization and Internationalization

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:08:28 -0400
To: Iain.URQUHART@LUX.DG13.cec.be
CC: mduerst@enoshima, clift@freenet.msp.mn.us, www-international@w3.org
>Similarly, if the vendor knew I was in Luxembourg it could only show
>me models of shoe that conform to official Grand Ducal footwear norms
>and regulations, or it could give me the address of the local cobblers
>providing technical support and so on. Localisation in this sense
>lends competitive advantage.

A long time ago now, I proposed adding some tags for
locale-independent markup of measuremetns etc. so that browsers could
display it in most appropriate manner. We had these in one of the
early drafts too.

I think such tags are still useful, but I also think we do need some
way of profiling users, because there are a large number of things
that can have an effect on prices, for example. Hasn't there been some
work done on specifying user profiles in the PICS effort?