Re: Localization and Internationalization

From: <Iain.URQUHART@LUX.DG13.cec.be>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:31:34 +0200
To: <clift@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>

> I was wondering if there are any formal connections between efforts
> at WWW internationalization (where I assume language and character
> sets are the main focus) and localization with countries?
>
> I am researching how geography can made an attribute for defining
> "digital crossroads" for community conferencing from the block club
> and neighborhood on up.  I am also following meta tag conversations
> and see some geographical attributes emerging.
>
> Does anyone have any comment and is this group the appropriate W3
> group to take up such issues?

There is a related problem in electronic commerce, which is about locale as well as geography. An electronic commerce server should have some way of knowing e.g what currency and/or weights & measurements system a given user prefers. (which may of course be independent of geographical location, although a geographical location might also be relevant). It's probably possible to do all this with cookies but something like an Accept-Locale header would be a bit less trouble.

Iain Urquhart
European Commission
DG XIII-E5 Language Engineering
Tel: +352 4301 33661