Re: HTML language marking

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 00:20:39 +0100
To: "M.T. Carrasco Benitez" <carrasco@innet.lu>
cc: WInter <www-international@w3.org>
I like the idea, but not the details.

I think the <meta http-equiv> tag is intended to be the authoritative
source for what should be in the corresponding HTTP header; if the
user wants to put <meta http-equiv="content-language" value="fr">
into a document with <HTML LANG=EN>, he's probably deliberately
trying to shove his document in English into the face of as many
Francophones as possible, while still letting it be spellchecked by
his authoring tool; this is something that I don't think protocols
have any place in policing.

Just my USD 0.02 - I was just visiting the mailing list.....

              Harald A