Re: Language label

From: M.T. Carrasco Benitez <carrasco@innet.lu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:15:02 +0100 (MET)
To: Drazen Kacar <Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr>
cc: misha.wolf@reuters.com, www-international@w3.org, unicode@unicode.org
> Why? If the processing goes into servers, it should be robust. Servers
> should treat clients as their worst enemies. :)

One should avoid making innecessary ennemies: if the standard says the
language label is only in one place, there is no need to be overdefensive.

> Must? RFC 2068 in section 14.13 says
>
>    Content-Language  = "Content-Language" ":" 1#language-tag
>
> Suppose I want to put some translated poems on the web. I'd like to
> include original also and I think both should be viewed side by side.
> Frames are out of the question because I don't want independent scrolling.
> I'd put them on one page, probably in a table. That would be a case for
> two language tags.

This is a bilingual doc, the Content-Language should contain the two
languages and the relevant tags should contain the LANG attribute.

A monolingual HTML doc must contain *inside* only *one* language label in
*one* place in whatever syntax is choose, and this language label must be
pick it up by the server and put it in the Content-Language in the header.

> > There must be possible to transport (floppies, attached, etc) a document
> > with the lang and charset *inside*.  Having it as a file name extension
> > could be consider *inside* (not a very good solution), but a doubt about a
> > directory.
>
> I doubt also.

I do not get the point: transport is unnecessary, directory is a good
solution, ...

> Of course, I've only stated my preference. I've forgotten to write why I
> strongly dislike language information in the file name.

I agree. I also dislike language information in the file name; it should
be inside.

Tomas