Re: Language label

From: M.T. Carrasco Benitez <carrasco@innet.lu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 01:54:05 +0100 (MET)
To: Drazen Kacar <Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr>
cc: Misha Wolf <misha.wolf@reuters.com>, www-international@w3.org, unicode@unicode.org
> If I was writing a server with the ability to extract language info from
> the document and put it in the HTTP header, I'd support all three methods:
>
> <HTML LANG=xx>
> <BODY LANG=xx>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" CONTENT="xx">

This is precisely what I wanted to avoid.

> META method is the most general, because it can have CONTENT="en, de", for
> example.

The language label is for monolingual documents: only *one* language must
be indicated.

> As an author, I'd like lang and charset info outside of the document in
> the directory name, if possible.

There must be possible to transport (floppies, attached, etc) a document
with the lang and charset *inside*.  Having it as a file name extension
could be consider *inside* (not a very good solution), but a doubt about a
directory.

> I'd be happy to have a directory with only one variant.

Good, but other scheme should be allow.  I come back to multilingual
parallel texts later.

> Playing with URL rewriting to find files and generate headers is possible
> with language info in the file name and in the directory name, so this is
> not a problem, although I don't know if servers today can do it good enough.

Servers could be writen to handle most syntaxes, but there are other
functionalities required: transportation, reading directly, etc.

Regards
Tomas