Re: Language label

From: M.T. Carrasco Benitez <carrasco@innet.lu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 01:39:49 +0100 (MET)
To: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
cc: WInter <www-international@w3.org>
> > <HTML LANG=xx>
> >
> This seems the best solution.

> One thing we need to consider though is if there should be some way to
> indicate that some of the subelements of the documents are in other
> languauges (say a multilingual document). Perhaps we
> should have a standardized META tag of the form:
>
> <META name=languages content=".....">
>
> where .... is a space separated list of 3166 language codes.

The language label applies only to monolingual docs; i.e., each
linguistic version is kept in a separated doc (it is easier).

Monolingual docs could have small parts in another language and the LANG
attribute should be use to mark the relevant parts.  But even with small
part in another language, the doc is monolingual and only one language
should be transmited in the HTTP header.  For example, a "Star Trek" doc
in English must be clasified as English, even if there are a couple of
sentence in Klingon.

Regards
Tomas