Re: Language label

Jonas Brandel wrote (to the www-international list):

>Possibly a stupid comment, but shouldn't they both be allowed.
>> <HTML LANG=...> to enable language tagging of the HTML
>and <META HTTP-EQUIV...> to *fake* the HTTP header?!
>
>J.

It's not a stupid comment.  They are both allowed.  The question being
discussed is how the server should discover the primary language of an HTML
document, in order to put this information in the HTTP header.

For a reason I haven't yet understood, Tomas considers that the server should
take this information from inside the HTML document.  Others, including me,
suggest that this information belongs outside the document, eg in the file
name:

   home.fr.html
   home.de.html
   home.zh-cn.html

That is what has to be done for other files, such as images, eg:

   go-home.fr.gif
   go-home.de.gif
   go-home.zh-cn.gif

I don't understand why HTML files should be treated differently.

Tomas, please explain.

Misha