Re: Language label

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:31:10 PST
To: Ed_Batutis/CAM/Lotus@lotus.com
CC: www-international@w3.org
\Ed_Batutis/CAM/Lotus@lotus.com wrote:

> We've found that it is useful to have a language tag for the whole document
> that means, for example,
>
> "This document is meant for French-Canadian users"
>
> The document, however, might not contain a word of French, but it simply
> contains information that French-Canadian users need to see. In addition to
> that, blocks of text can be tagged separately with the actual language they
> are written in.

Aaaahhhhrrrgh.

Use PICS if you want content rating. The language tag is not arbitrary
meta-data about the ethnicity of the recipient, but specific technical
information about the content itself that is intended for localization,
choice of punctuation, presentation, hyphenation, etc.

See http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS/ for more information about PICS.

Larry